SR3R Project Forum

Discussion and debate for the SR3R Project
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:17 pm 
Forum Admin

This is a pretty huge subject, and may even become its own forum in the future, but for the moment let's focus on the issues we need to deal with. So far, the big ones I know of are:

A) Most expensive hardware (MPCP / Persona chips, etc) has low fixed cost, and high software cost. This has the rather silly effect of requiring a long time to program a new MPCP chip, then a shot time and little cash to make a million new MPCPs.

B) Hardware Persona chips are created at a fixed rating, but Matrix (and our own rules) allow you to raise/lower Persona attributes essentially at will.

C) Nothing in Matrix requires anything more advanced than a microtronics shop; I find it highly suspicious that, according to the rules, some punk kid can make the next Excalibur out of his parents' basement room.

D) NO host construction rules.

Anything I'm missing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:09 pm 
Forum Admin

C isn't such an issue. Keep in mind, this is coming from the 80s, when people really did buy their computers in a kit and just build them in their garage. Throw in a cost for parts (in the form of smaller chips you're soldering to each other) and you're good to go. Junior's first quantum computing lab!

D I agree 100% with, although since I still don't totally feel we have a concise definition of what a host is, and what to call something that is neither a host nor a deck nor a slave, I think we need to define that first.

A and B I have no experience with and no real opinion on at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:22 pm 
Forum Admin

nezumi wrote:
C isn't such an issue. Keep in mind, this is coming from the 80s, when people really did buy their computers in a kit and just build them in their garage. Throw in a cost for parts (in the form of smaller chips you're soldering to each other) and you're good to go. Junior's first quantum computing lab!
Hm. Not sure I like this idea though. I mean, yeah, I'll buy being able to solder together your own motherboard, but even in the '80s you couldn't throw together a CPU out of paper clips and chewing gum. Well, maybe if you're MacGuyver.

Dude, I just got the greatest idea for a MacGuyver adept power. I'm gonna have to file that away for future reference. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

What, "build CPU"?

I'm tempted to suggest a hardware-related Edge named "The Woz".

~J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:52 pm 
Forum Admin

Anyway, the main reason I don't like C) is that it means, in theory, you can have an MPCP-12 superdeck for the cost of a few dozen blank optical chips. And, once you write or steal the firmware code, you can manufacture MPCP-12 computers quickly and cheaply, and all you need is a microtronics shop. It's worse than orichalcum for mages, because you can buy a few cheap chip burners and automate the whole process while you do other things. I mean, sure, maybe starting your own AMD and running it out of your apartment is amusing to you, but should it be encouraged by the rules?

Anyway, are there any other issues?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:36 am 
Forum Admin

I will say, it doesn't make sense for cyberterminals and the like to be primarily soft/firmware. It really should be a manual process, and achieving it once doesn't make it any easier to achieve again. It MIGHT make sense for the persona chips to be firmware, but the MPCP should be a strict hardware test. (But I still don't have any problem with it being doable in someone's house with just a shop, a tremendous amount of skill and time).