SR3R Project Forum

Discussion and debate for the SR3R Project
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trodes vs Datajack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:05 am 

So what IS the difference? I'm finishing up my wiki entry on my stripped down decking (I'm calling it SR3.5 decking) that I've been using in my game ... and Im trying to figure out what trodes can and cannot do. If you look at SR3, trodes are basically everything a datajack is, only a little slower. That's fine but how about in the AR setup, could your mage AR with trodes? Or how about DNI? If you can DNI with just a datajack, why not trodes? Should trodes be treated as just a slow datajack, or should there be other limitations?

I'm fishing here :).

Post subject: Re: Trodes vs Datajack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 am 

For instance, right now one of my phys-ads keeps trodes on his head at all times and uses the neural interface to send and receive voice messages as well as get datalink-like information over the wire. It's pretty genius and since speed isn't a fear for that level of data ... it works great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:45 am 
Forum Admin

I'd stick with the book, myself. No initiative boosts, penalties, MPCP cap of 4, program cap of 3. Plus they need to be carefully attached and can fall off easily (so that phys ad would be reaffixing them every other moment if he ran around with them on). However, there's no problem with paying $14k for a subvocal mic, cell phone and pocket secretary, if that's what he wants to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:52 am 

Yeah the trode limits are not bad, I guess I was just challenging what they could and couldn't do compared to a datajack. If its just a slow datajack that means in low bandwidth situations (my phys ad there), they are every bit as powerful. This is fine, I guess I was just asking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07 pm 
Forum Admin

There's also my (radical, I know) proposal for ASIST, which specifically mentions trodes as being capable of cold ASIST and not hot ASIST.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 pm 

Yeah but that strays from Strange Days, which really popularized the idea of trodes (if you look at SR history, they came out after the movie prior to that it was called a hitcher jack). That said its nice having a quantifiable wall and making the barrier between hot and cold assist isn't a bad one (and shoots a hole in my currently playtesting rule set I'm currently using which tossed out the concept for ease of use).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:45 pm 

Eyeless Blond wrote:
There's also my (radical, I know) proposal for ASIST, which specifically mentions trodes as being capable of cold ASIST and not hot ASIST.

This is canon, isn't it?

'trodes are acceptable substitutes for limited decking, though the DJ also permits use of softs, interfacing with memory (cranial interface in Shadowtech) and for rigging and driving and probably more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:23 am 
Forum Admin

Link wrote:
Eyeless Blond wrote:

This is canon, isn't it?

'trodes are acceptable substitutes for limited decking, though the DJ also permits use of softs, interfacing with memory (cranial interface in Shadowtech) and for rigging and driving and probably more.

That part was, yes, but the rest of it... well there's a lot of subtle differences. In particular I made cold/hot ASIST carry over to a lot more places than it does currently, making it a central theme of the man-machine interface rather than that weird thing only deckers and sometimes riggers have to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 pm 
Forum Admin

Right, EB's idea would answer the question nicely, although I assumed feral was asking about the current rules, which seem sufficient to me (since it doesn't accomplish anything you couldn't do better for less).